This week’s App of the Week is RedLaser.
- Download the application from the App Store.
- Once you have downloaded the app, open it.
- The first option it will display is that the app would like to use your location. Say OK and it will track where you are to find deals. Once you have accepted that, then tap the lightning bolt at the bottom. It will bring up the camera, then you put a bar code in front of your camera and it will recognize it and automatically search. It will display the search results both online and local along with a picture of the item at the top with the description. Some products will also have “reviews” where it will tell you what people have said about this product. One of the things I like the most about this app is how it divides the “local” stores so that if you want to go pick one up, you can see exactly what stores have them. When you are done, tap the scan button at the top left. It keeps a record of the items you have scanned, which is also nice for review.
- Another option, if you don’t have the bar code, but you have the UPC or the EAN cod, you can enter it by tapping on the paper and pencil at the bottom right of the scan page. When you are looking at a barcode, it is all of the numbers, including the little ones on each side. It will either be a 6-8, 12 or 13 digit number. When you have the correct amount of digits, it will show a green check mark next to the number and you tap “done” at the top to search. I even tried this with a can of Febreze and it worked! Now, I’m not that anal that I would want to shop around for a $3 item, but some of you might.
- Tap the edit button on the scanned items list to remove any of the items.
- If you want to refresh your list based on something previously scanned, select the item and then tap the refresh button at the top right that looks like an arrow in a circle.
- If you are out shopping and want to scan a lot of items at once, you can do that too. While on the scan screen that shows the camera, slide the “multiple” to the “on” position and then tap done, when you are finished with them all. It is sensitive, so you don’t even have to have it right side up. It will beep to let you know it has scanned that item.